Sunday 17 April 2011

CHILI ON CORNBREAD WAFFLES

I saw a television commercial, recently, for chicken and waffles and that started me thinking (dangerous I know). Chili and cornbread were on the menu for dinner, so... I thought, why not serve the chili over cornbread waffles? It was VERY good and such a fun change!!

CHILI

1 pound lean ground beef
½ cup of chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dry oregano
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 ounce can of tomato paste
4 cups beef broth (not bullion)
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon dry red pepper flakes (optional heat)
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
1 15 oz. can white kidney beans

Brown the ground beef and onions and drain well. Add everything else, stir well and cook in crock pot on high for 4 hours.

CORNBREAD WAFFLES

I am not a big fan of commercial "mixes", but there is one that I always keep on hand (because it is tasty and inexpensive) and that is Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix (here in Alaska they are 59¢ a box). Here is my version of a cornbread waffle. It is a little soft and cake like when it comes out of the waffle maker, so I let them cool for a minute or two (they retain their heat well) on a baking rack so they hold their shape better, but they are SO tasty.

1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Muffin Mix (8 oz.)
¼ cup melted butter
1 can creamed corn
1 egg

Mix everything and bake in waffle iron.

0 comments:

Post a Comment